Friday, January 30, 2009

Because Aunt Shannon Says So...


This is a picture of Ella and Sami at Little Gym Last night. They each have their "Dance Bag" that holds their shoes for class because they enter without shoes (gymnastics part) and then put on their tap shoes first and then ballet shoes. At the end they put their shoes back in their bag. Ella chose her bag from Aunt Shannon as her dance bag- which is fitting since Ella now thinks Aunt Shannon rules the shoe world.


Background: We were reading Ella's blog together, and looking at the comments, when I read Aunt Shannon's suggestion about no shoes ("Barefoot dolls rock"). I said to Ella, "See, Aunt Shannon says it's okay for your dolls not to have shoes." When given the chance to choose a bag, she said, "Aunt Shannon's. She said I don't have to wear shoes". Okay, a bit of a stretch, but it was sweet. I thought it was so sweet until this morning when I was trying to get Ella to pick out shoes for school and she said (you could see this coming, I'm sure) "Aunt Shannon says I don't have to". I felt a bit of, I don't know, empathy (?) for Robbie because I have a feeling she had her own version of this a while back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oops. what i meant to say is that it is ok for dolls to go barefoot because they are little, but big girls wear shoes unless their mommies (or a grownup) say it is ok not too.