Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Calling Grandma Judy

Judy, we need your help. I am failing miserably at this sleep thing. I would like it noted, for the record, that we had a good sleep situation going for a while. It is just all out broken. Now that Ella can get out of her bed, she takes full advantage of it. We had been letting her sleep on a cot in our room for a while when she woke up in the middle of the night. With the arrival of her new bed yesterday, we committed ourselves to walking her back to her room all night if it was needed. Well, it was needed and now I'm exhausted and barely thinking straight. At one point I woke up to Ella standing by our bed but when I started to get up she darted back to her bed, and just stood there, as if mocking me. I fell asleep on her floor, in the hall, and on the sofa. She fell asleep with that crazy kid radar that knows when you are slinking out of their room.

In all the spare time I had last night, I began composing a letter to apply to be on The Super Nanny but then I realized one child and two parents would hardly bring in the ratings for them. So I did what I really do well, I complained to Polly who pointed out you always know what to do. So here I am begging you, pleading really with red eyes and bed head that I can't get rid of because I'm too tired to stand in the shower. Really- this is worse than a newborn. Sure you are up all night with them also, but at (usually) dependable increments. Or maybe time has blurred reality, or maybe I'm just so tired and close to tears that I don't know what I am talking about but I desperately need your help. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Dave and Judy said...

Sara,
Read about your problem. Here are a few suggestions. I know they will sound mean but in the long run it is mean to let this situation go on. Consistancy is the main key. Make rules and they may never be altered or else you start over from square one. You can give her 2 choices and she needs to pick one of the two. If she can't you will pick for her. Example-She may sleep in her bed or on the floor in her bedroom. No where else. Make it fun with special blankets, pillows, stuffed toys. you get the idea. Always take her back to her room promptly saying you know the rules. Never make it plesent or talk nicely. BE STERN!
You can always use bribes but she can never be rewarded unless she does EXACTLY what has been asked of her. Mostly she needs to know that she must do what you ask of her with no exceptions or there will be concequences.
As a last straw, you may need to lock her in her room to keep her there. Tell her you are going to do it and then stick to it. Don't talk to her through the locked door or let her know you are there. It will be a very bad situation but she will get the idea probably after one session. I have known parents who have resorted to this technique and they said it was a horible night but it helped the situation. After one night all that was needed was a reminder and the child stayed in bed.
Remember, state the rules, give 2 choices (both of which you are good with) and be consistant. No deviation!
Good luck
Love,
Judy